So I have discovered that the best way to break my terrible habit of going online to check e-mail/facebook/breaking news stories/weather updates every ten minutes or so may be to work in a place that has no access to internet. I do not have the willpower to simply turn off my wireless adapter when I know a connection is available. This afternoon, I took my work to Manic Coffee, on College Street. When I first sat down with my Americano, I realized that the place was crazy loud. Loud music and even louder conversations (people talking over the loud music). I immediately thought I would never get any work done. However, I put in my earphones, selected a Q podcast, and started to write. All I needed was an extra layer of sound to make all of the layers just blur into a background rumble. (I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about any of the interviews that played on the three podcasts I worked through.) Like the other night at Courense, I was able to write without any distraction at all. (Manic prides itself on not only good coffee and vegan goodies, but on their wireless-less environment as well!) Eventually I will have to start working at my desk in my office, but for now, the coffee shops sans wireless may be just the way to go to create the good habit of not clicking on Firefox every 10-12 minutes to make sure the sky isn't falling!
1 comment:
That's probably a good idea. Whenever I plan to take a little web-browsing break, I open up facebook, and then an hour later realize more than 10 minutes have passed. Though I still haven't got the will power to seek out wireless-less places...though I don't really have to anymore! Ahhhhh...relief.
Post a Comment