Friday, August 21, 2009

friday again?

Where has this week gone? It's been a bit of a roller coaster since Sunday. I took Monday off, since Phil had just come home after two weeks away. And having finally accomplished a writing goal, I felt I deserved a little reward! Tuesday through Thursday were a little spotty in terms of productivity. I got some reading done, and I found a few new organizational strategies (through the PhinisheD boards) that may help me, especially once the craziness of the school year sets in. A friend offered me a seat in her VIP box at the Rogers Cup yesterday, so I couldn't turn that down. I go crazy for tennis! I got to see three third round matches, which included Elena Dementieva and Serena Williams (in separate matches). Then there was today... I knew I had to get back to serious work today, but that was easier said than done. I had a bit of a meltdown after breakfast. I haven't heard from my supervisor since I sent my 16 pages the other day. That's okay - this time of year, he's often out of town. But I had been really hoping for some feedback to either reassure me that I was doing okay or strongly suggest I reconsider my approach. Since I had neither, I was freaking out a bit. With help from Phil, I got through the meltdown, pulled myself together, and set off for Courense to code a set of transcripts (with the support of an americano and a chocolate croissant). After two hours of steady work, I was halfway through the set and writing notes like crazy. It felt great! The sun was shining outside, and I would have loved to go for a walk and get an ice cream, but I persisted. By the end of the day, I had finished all the coding I had hoped to accomplish. And I still had time to go for a walk. (Given the afternoon's chocolate croissant, I decided skipping the ice cream wouldn't be a bad idea.) Looks like I'll have the lights out before midnight tonight. I am hoping to start a habit of not sleeping in too late on the weekends so that I can get at least a couple hours of work in on Saturdays and Sundays and still have plenty of time to do errands, hang out, go to a movie, etc. Six months from today will be birthday #35, and I plan to celebrate without the pressure of writing my thesis looming over my head. That's one day after my target date for a full draft to be submitted to my supervisor. It won't be the final draft, but it will be a major step closer. Six months! I can do it!!!

No comments: