Wednesday, March 2, 2011

countdown is on: for real

The pressure is on. Despite my hopes of finishing my thesis--and defending it--in 2010, here I am well into 2011, hoping that I will indeed defend later this year. I can't hang onto this PhD student identity forever. I need to let it go, and my bank account would really appreciate it if I let it go. Anyway, this past fall wasn't very productive, and 2010 2011 got off to a slow start, but I'm into a bit of a groove right now. I had a meeting with my supervisor at the beginning of February, and he was happy with what I presented to him. He said he was "impressed," but I can't help but think he exaggerated just to encourage me to keep going! March will bring its challenges, being on the road most days visiting student teachers in their placements, but I have to find the energy to get writing in the evenings. I really have no choice anymore. I have my backward calendar in place, and it looks like I absolutely have to have my next draft (almost final draft) to my supervisor by May 15 in order to wrap this up in 2011. Hopefully it will result in a 2011 convocation, but at the very least a fall 2011 defense. If I can successfully keep to my schedule and not have to endure too many painful revisions, I should be spending July 15-Sept. 15 waiting and preparing for my defense. (The final thesis--or at least the version that will be examined--goes to the external examiner two months before the defense. After that, the only changes you make are any that the exam committee asks for at the end of the oral exam (i.e. "the defense").) I'm definitely feeling a great deal of anxiety about it all, but it's absolutely time to just push through and move forward with my academic/professional life. I've been telling myself that for a long time though. What makes this moment in time any different than before? I'm not exactly sure, but all I can do is hope that this time it's for real. No more crying wolf. I guess turning 36 last month has put a little more pressure on me. It's not all that different from 35, I suppose, but it's different enough... Anyway, my writing goal between now and March 10 is to finish chapter 5. On March 11, I have to dig into finishing chapter 6. No more grading until early April, and I seem to have kicked my HGTV habit, so if I can just stay away from the curling (with the exception of the Brier final weekend), I should do okay... Positive energy vibes appreciated!

No comments: