Wow... It's been a long time once again since my last post. I suppose part of the reason is because there's not a whole lot of thesis stuff to report. I'm working away in small bits, but November has to be the month to up the thesis time significantly. I can't continue to live in the professional bubble I'm so fortunate to be in this year. Seriously, all of my classes are great. I have an incredibly wonderful group of students all around--both the grade 7s and the Teacher Candidates. And I have fantastic colleagues. I am living the dream in a way... well, without the tenure... and not even the possibility of tenure. For contract work, I have an awesome situation. Next year, it will be a different story. Not likely I'll be teaching grade 7s again, and the university work--well, that's always a question mark. In order to even have the chance of moving forward and successfully landing a tenure-track gig, I must have a PhD after my name. Almost there just won't cut it. Okay, some people will get hired ABD, but that would just be a disaster if it happened to me. I would never finish, and then I wouldn't get tenure, and then I would lose my job, and then I would be depressed, and then... I know myself well enough to know that I must have a PhD in hand before I move onto the next rung of the academic ladder.
I have spent September and October making healthy changes in my life. No more McDonald's and no more Pizza Pizza. Hardly any processed foods really. No consumption of animals at home. Healthy lunches! Going to bed by 10 on a pretty regular basis. Almost always eating breakfast. Cooking two or three times a week and actually enjoying it. My goals for November include starting yoga classes and finishing another thesis chapter. Stay tuned to see how I do...
No comments:
Post a Comment