I kind of lost track of that countdown I had going for the full draft of my thesis... It has been replaced by those countdowns mentioned in today's title. Of course, originally the countdown to the draft was one day less than the countdown to St. John's. There will not be a full draft in three days. But, I have made such strides towards that full draft that I am not going to give myself a hard time about not accomplishing that goal. And here I am, four days before heading home, still without shoes and earrings for my wedding, a gorgeous day outside, and I'm at Lit, writing away. I've been here just about two hours now, so I'm on a little break. Going to have to stretch my legs and get out of the AC environment for a few minutes before I start up again. I have to say, it was tough in here a couple of weeks ago without the AC, and now it's challenging with the AC. Fortunately, I remember to bring long sleeves with me. Almost always a no win situation with me! People have been telling me I should leave my thesis here when I leave for St. John's, but that will not be the case. I want to keep working until the end of July at least. That will still give me a whole two weeks off before the wedding, and I'm not sure I even can justify that much. But we'll see... Anyway, things are going really well these days. Spending 4-5 hours straight in front of my computer everyday. Well, that doesn't really mean anything, I guess. I'd say most days I spend that much time in front of the computer, often with HGTV on the tv at the same time! But not these days. No, it's been 4-5 hours a day with my thesis work in front of me--and not only in front of me, but with pen in hand, scribbling away, or with keyboard beneath my fingers, bringing new ideas to each page. It's been a fun week. I'm back to working at Chs. 1-3 again. Another draft, I guess! And I've been making lots of notes to help me transform the next draft. I feel like I'm finally appreciating the revision process, and it's really working for me. Each time I rework a section, there's more clarity and greater depth and better connections to the literature that's already out there. Hoping to put these chapters away again by Wednesday and spend my time in St. John's back at another round of analysis. Eventually I have to start writing that stuff up too. For now, there's lots of different highlighters on the go, coding the transcripts, and plenty of notes being scribbled in the margins, on post-its, and in graphic organizers on note paper. That stuff is super messy and fun. Overwhelming too, but hopefully that writing will not be too difficult... Well, it probably will be, but hopefully I won't freak out about it too much. Well, I probably will, but hopefully I can remember how great this revision process is treating me right now and go with it... We'll see.
That's all for now. Going to go check out the sunshine before hitting the books again. See you in St. John's!
No comments:
Post a Comment