So much for the thesis update in less than a week! I have to admit, there was no thesis progress in the month of September. I was completely consumed with keeping on top of my teaching responsibilities. I go into my courses with a general sense of what we'll be doing, but I don't really finalize the details until I meet my students and find out what experiences they are bringing to the class and where their knowledge gaps are, in terms of being ready for school music teaching. It can be a real challenge, as I have students with music degrees as well as students with arts degrees who've taken a few music courses for non-majors. Some of my students have master's degrees in music, and others have never been a member of a performing ensemble. Some have never held a wind instrument or a baton, and after six weeks of classes with me, they will head out into the school system for a four-week practicum. The first six weeks of the semester are INTENSE!
All that being said, I cannot continue to ignore my thesis. This will be the week (for sure) that I get back on track. I am starting to apply for tenure-track jobs as well, so the reality of having to wrap up this PhD is right before my eyes. I am feeling the personal pressure to finish, and that is a good thing. I respond best to pressure I put on myself. This is also my third year teaching as a contract instructor. I am SO grateful for the experience I am building, and I LOVE my job so much. But, I also feel the time is coming when it will be time to move into something more permanent. I am ready for the next leg of the academic journey and the challenges (and rewards) it will bring.
Stay tuned... this thesis will soon start to come together!!
No comments:
Post a Comment